Some of its many tasks included checking the weights and measures and the quality of goods offered for sale by the tradesmen in the town, especially the quality and strength of the ale.
The earliest mention of a Manorial Court in Henley comes from an entry in the Warwickshire Feet of Fines dated 1240, when Brice of Henley promised to pay the yearly rent and to do suit at the Court of Henley three times a year. Detailed records of the Court exist from 1546 and edited transcripts of the court rolls from 1546 to 1918 were published in 1919. The names of the High Bailiffs are recorded from 1477.
The Court Leet maintains the traditions and history of the town. Annual re-enactments of the ceremonies of ale-tasting, bread and butter weighing, fish and flesh tasting, brook looking and beating of the manorial bounds take place. The Court represents and promotes the town at many events.
The Court's officers are elected annually in the Guild Hall by jurors who must be resident in the town.
David Lodder DL
Court Leet Officers 2023-2024
Marc Bailey MBE
Dr Douglas Bridgewater
Rev. John Ganjavi
© 2020 - 1970 Henley in Arden Museum and Heritage Centre
Site Design, Build and Hosting by Creative Differences